what we need more of is science | 11:40 PM >
Last weekend was one hell of a weekend.
It started with Yet Another Plane ride to Yet Another Wedding, this time that of Andrew M, a dear friend from another life long ago. On the plane, and despite my previous plane encounter, I was basically fine with the flight. That is, until a little girl in the seat in front of me repeated at full volume three times, "We're all going to crash, daddy!" At least, that's what I heard. It was actually something in Canadian French, but her child's accent mushed the words together into my own personal purgatorical hallucination.
Lucky for me, the first thing I saw when I got off the plane was Therese, and after the flight the rest of the weekend ended up being the best birthday weekend I've ever had.
The wedding itself was just darling. They had it on Shuswap Lake in BC, at this place called the Quaaout Resort. It's a First Nations place, and there was a Native guy who acted as celebrant. Weddings without homeboys are quite the novelty.
As the evening drew on there was merriment, dancing, me starting a train line, and me losing count of how many drinks were being propped in my hands. The morning found me pleasantly hung-over.
The drives back and forth were awesome. Aside from slices from the cake of musical delectability, being home in the Rockies again was... grounding. Calgary changes so quickly that it's almost a different city each time I go back, but even as the mountains change they stay the same. Plus, forest fires!
Most of the days that followed had me and Therese just getting to know each other again. It's amazing to find that kind of best friend connection in the first place, but to also have it re-validated is doubly so. Plus, you should look out for two Orc girls by the name of two famous twins next time you log in to WoW.
Oh, and if, like me, you're only now discovering Sleater-Kinney, I highly recommend All Hands On The Bad One as it has an unusually high number of songs rated four stars on my playlist. Sympathy off of One Beat, however, is my favorite by them and the only song I've been able to listen to on infinite repeat since Lullaby.
Oh, and I didn't start that fire.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home